Re: Dual core Opterons beating quad core Xeons?

От Ron Mayer
Тема Re: Dual core Opterons beating quad core Xeons?
Дата
Re: Dual core Opterons beating quad core Xeons?
Список pgsql-performance
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Actually this is not true. Although I have yet to test 8.3. It is
> pretty much common knowledge that after 8 cores the acceleration of
> performance drops with PostgreSQL...
>
> This has gotten better every release. 8.1 for example handles 8 cores
> very well, 8.0 didn't and 7.4 well.... :)

I agree with the spirit of what you say, but are you overstating
things a bit?

Benchmarks I see[1] suggest that 8.1.2 scaled pretty reasonably to 16
cores (from the chart on page 9 in the link below).  But yeah, 8.0
scaled to maybe 2 cores if you're lucky. :-)

Agree with the rest of the things you say, tho.   It's getting
way better every recent release.

[1]
http://www.pgcon.org/2007/schedule/attachments/22-Scaling%20PostgreSQL%20on%20SMP%20Architectures%20--%20An%20Update

Сообщение: Re: Dual core Opterons beating quad core Xeons?
Сообщение: Re: Dual core Opterons beating quad core Xeons?