Re: Query only slow on first run

От cluster
Тема Re: Query only slow on first run
Дата
Re: Query only slow on first run
Список pgsql-performance
> As for optimizing the query, I noticed that all three joins are done by
> nested loops.  I wonder if another join method would be faster.  Have you
> analyzed all the tables?

Yes. I did a VACUUM FULL ANALYZE before running the test queries. Also I
have just performed an ANALYZE just to be sure everything was really
analyzed.

> You aren't disabling hash joins or merge joins are
> you?

Nope.

>  If you aren't, then as a test I would try disabling nested loops by
> doing "set enable_nestloop=false" and see if the query is any faster for
> you.

If I disable the nested loops, the query becomes *much* slower.

A thing that strikes me is the following. As you can see I have the
constraint: q.status = 1. Only a small subset of the data set has this
status. I have an index on q.status but for some reason this is not
used. Instead the constraint are ensured with a "Filter: (q.status = 1)"
in an index scan for the primary key in the "q" table. If the small
subset having q.status = 1 could be isolated quickly using an index, I
would expect the query to perform better. I just don't know why the
planner doesn't use the index on q.status.