strange issue with UUID data types

От Michael Gould
Тема strange issue with UUID data types
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

I'm running Windows 2008 64 bit server with Postgres 8.4.2 (also have tried Windows 7 both 32 and 64 bit).  The origin database is SQL Anywhere 10.

I've got several tables that have a UUID data type with isscontrib.uuid_generate_v4() as the default value.

All of the tables where these are the primary key work just fine and properly create the UUID columns.

I also have several child tables that call into the parent table to return the parent tables UUID.  All of the child tables column which I'm returning the parent tables UUID are defined as UUID data types and no default value.  On all of my machines the UUID returned from the parent tables is always 16 bytes, in fact the numbers are not truncated they don't make any sense or pattern.

Now I would think that this could be a problem with my program not having the proper length to hold the temporary data but I've also run this on 2 other machines, one through teamviewer to  Windows 2008 standard server with Postgres 8.4.2 loaded and it's schema's loaded from a pgdumpall.

They are also running the same SQL Anywhere version 10 that we're converting the data from.  When we run the same code on that machine it runs properly and the UUID returned is correct.  I've tried this on his remote server and it works.

Is there something I'm missing here?  Is there somekind of environmental parameter that I need to set?  We've been scratching our heads over this for about 10 days now trying to figure out why it works in one location and not others.

Best Regards

Michael Gould

Michael Gould, Managing Partner
Intermodal Software Solutions, LLC