Re: Race condition in TransactionIdIsInProgress

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Race condition in TransactionIdIsInProgress
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 24/06/2022 04:43, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2022-06-23 22:03:27 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> In summary, I think we should:
>> - commit and backpatch Simon's
>> just_remove_TransactionIdIsKnownCompleted_call.v1.patch
>> - fix pg_xact_status() to check TransactionIdIsInProgress()
>> - in v15, remove TransationIdIsKnownCompleted function altogether
>>
>> I'll try to get around to that in the next few days, unless someone beats me
>> to it.
>
> Makes sense.

This is what I came up with for master. One difference from Simon's
original patch is that I decided to not expose the
TransactionIdIsKnownNotInProgress(), as there are no other callers of it
in core, and it doesn't seem useful to extensions. I inlined it into the
caller instead.

BTW, should we worry about XID wraparound with the cache? Could you have
a backend sit idle for 2^32 transactions, without making any
TransactionIdIsKnownNotInProgress() calls? That's not new with this
patch, though, it could happen with the single-item cache in transam.c, too.

- Heikki
Вложения