Re: Tablespaces on tertiary media

От Mark Morgan Lloyd
Тема Re: Tablespaces on tertiary media
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ron Johnson wrote:

>> I know that at one point (v6?) there were hooks in the code for
>> experimental Berkeley code to do this sort of thing but as far as I know
>> there has never been anything publicly available.
>
> While tertiary media certainly was relevant 10 years ago, is it
> really necessary in 2007? A couple of MSA-1000s stuffed with 1TB
> disks would hold an l-o-t *lot* of historical data.

I was considering it from the point-of-view of completeness rather than
anything else, but as a specific example I seem to recall that one of the
particle accelerator sites uses PostgreSQL for cataloging captured data but
actually stores it on either tape or optical disc (I forget which). I'm sure
that there would be advantages to being able to retrieve both metadata and
data using the same API, rather than using database queries for the former and
something like an AMANDA-compatible interface for the latter.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk