Re: Clarification of documentation detail for upgrading minor version

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Clarification of documentation detail for upgrading minor version
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/23/20 3:28 AM, Phil Fisher wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a 9.6.6 system that misses some features.  It is installed on a
> RHEL7 OS.  Reading the 9.6 documentation to upgrade I find the
> following:
>
>   "
>
> 18.6. Upgrading a PostgreSQL Cluster
>
> This section discusses how to upgrade your database data from one
> PostgreSQL release to a newer one.
>
> PostgreSQL major versions are represented by the first two digit
> groups of the version number, e.g., 8.4. PostgreSQL minor versions are
> represented by the third group of version digits, e.g., 8.4.2 is the
> second minor release of 8.4. Minor releases never change the internal
> storage format and are always compatible with earlier and later minor
> releases of the same major version number, e.g., 8.4.2 is compatible
> with 8.4, 8.4.1 and 8.4.6. To update between compatible versions, you
> simply replace the executables while the server is down and restart
> the server. The data directory remains unchanged — minor upgrades are
> that simple."
>
> Can someone please clarify what actions should be taken for this (see
> penultimate sentence)?  If I install (yum upgrade for example) then I
> believe all updated files will be updated and that does not seem to be
> the message in the above.  While I can install to a different area
> (and since I will be using the PGDG repo it WILL be different) I could

Are you currently using the PGDG repos?

If so then the files will be installed in the same locations. They will
just be the new versions.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Phil Fisher
Сообщение: Clarification of documentation detail for upgrading minor version