Fetching record of the day

От ghoffman@ucsd.edu (Gary Hoffman)
Тема Fetching record of the day
Дата
Список pgsql-general
To the PostGresQL mastermind:

Working with postgresql and SQL in general is a blast. However, I need
advice on how best to form the following query. I'm sure there are a dozen
different ways to do it. Please give me your suggestion:

I want to publish a "Link of the Day" on my website, with title,
description, and URL. I have a field named startdate with type of
datetime, but not all records have this field filled in. In those cases,
it contains a null.

I would like to retireve the record (there should be only one) whose field
"startdate" contains today's date. So I only want to test for date, not
date&time and I also want to ignore the null records. Of course, if it
works better, I could store the intended startdate in text format or even
an integer format, if that works better.

So, in general, here's what I want to do:

  select [stuff] from [table] where date(startdate) = date(today)

Several approaches I have tried have all died because of the nulls stored
in the datetime-type field startdate.

Please suggest a workable solution that you have tested. The best one
(that works) gets their website listed on my "link of the day". What a
deal!

Thanks,
Gary

* Gary B. Hoffman, Computing Services Manager  e-mail: ghoffman@ucsd.edu *
* Graduate School of International Relations and Pacific Studies (IR/PS) *
* University of California, San Diego (UCSD)       voice: (858) 534-1989 *
* 9500 Gilman Dr., La Jolla, CA 92093-0519 USA       fax: (858) 534-3939 *