Re: Problem while setting the fpw with SIGHUP

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Problem while setting the fpw with SIGHUP
Дата
Re: Problem while setting the fpw with SIGHUP  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

<CAA4eK1+1zULC52G_EyNcrrxFCmBi4NUuA1CoQAKu2FFPai_Teg@mail.gmail.com>

in<20180404.172646.238325981.horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp>

>>> I noticed that XLOG_FPW_CHANGE(fpw=false) is still required by
>>> pg_start/stop_backup to know FPW's turning-off without waiting
>>> for the next checkpoint record. But XLOG_FPW_CHANGE(true) is not
>>> required since no one uses the information. It seems even harmful
>>> when it is written at the incorrect place.
>>>
>>> In the attached patch, shared fullPageWrites is updated only at
>>> REDO point
>>
>> I am not completely sure if that is the right option because this
>> would mean that we are defining the new scope for a GUC variable.  I
>> guess we should take the input of others as well.  I am not sure what
>> is the right way to do that, but maybe we can start a new thread with
>> a proper subject and description rather than discussing this under
>> some related bug fix patch discussion.  I guess we can try that after
>> CF unless some other people pitch in and share their feedback.

I think the new behavior where the GUC only takes effect at next
checkpoint is OK. It seems quite intuitive.

> [rebased patch version]

Looks good at a quick glance. Assuming no objections from others, I'll
take a closer look and commit tomorrow. Thanks!

- Heikki