Re: [patch] Add schema total size to psql \dn+

От Gilles Darold
Тема Re: [patch] Add schema total size to psql \dn+
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Le 22/02/2019 à 19:21, Tom Lane a écrit :
>> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 5:26 PM Gilles Darold <gilles.darold@dalibo.com> wrote:
>>> The attached simple patch adds this feature. Is there any cons adding
>>> this information?
>> Well, it'll take time to compute, maybe a lot of time if the database
>> is big and the server is busy.  Not sure how serious that problem can
>> get.
> Is there any permissions issue involved here?  I'd be a bit worried
> about whether \dn+ could fail, or deliver misleading answers, when
> run by a user without permissions on (some) tables.  Also, even if
> we allow people to get size info on tables they can't read today,
> having this feature would be a roadblock to tightening that in
> the future.

That's right, I've removed the patch. My first idea was to add a server
side function pg_schema_size() but I was thinking that a psql
implementation was enough but obviously that was not my best idea ever.
Let me know if there is any interest in having this pg_schema_size()
server side function that could take care of user permissions or be used
by a super user only.

Best regards,

--
Gilles Darold