Re: "an SQL" vs. "a SQL"

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: "an SQL" vs. "a SQL"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11/06/21 2:48 am, Isaac Morland wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 10:43, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com
> <mailto:dgrowleyml@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     -      requires an MIT Kerberos installation and opens TCP/IP
>     listen sockets.
>     +       requires a MIT Kerberos installation and opens TCP/IP
>     listen sockets.
>
>     I think all of these should use "a" rather than "an".
>

> “A MIT …”? As far as I know it is pronounced M - I - T, which would
> imply that it should use “an”. The following page seems believable and
> is pretty unequivocal on the issue:
>
> https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/como_se_dice/
> <https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/como_se_dice/>

The rule is, in English, is that if the word sounds like it starts with
a vowel then use 'an' rather than 'a'.  Though some people think that
the rule only applies to words beginning with a vowel, which is a
misunderstanding.

So 'an SQL' and 'an MIT'  are correct.   IMHO

Cheers,
Gavin

От: Alexander Korotkov
Сообщение: Re: unnesting multirange data types
От: Isaac Morland
Сообщение: Re: "an SQL" vs. "a SQL"