Re: Database logins taking longer and longer, showing up as "authentication" in ps(1)

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Database logins taking longer and longer, showing up as "authentication" in ps(1)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9/30/20 1:22 PM, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> Tom writes:
>
>> =?utf-8?Q?Adam_Sj=C3=B8gren?= <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:
>>
>>> One thing I should have mentioned, but forgot, is that the database is
>>> configured to do logical replication to another machine - could that
>>> have an effect on the lock contention?
>>> A colleague pointed out that in the pg_locks output, the replication
>>> processes are waiting on the ProcArray lock:
>>>   · https://koldfront.dk/misc/postgresql/pg_stat_activity_pg_locks-BAD.txt.gz
>>
>> Yeah, that is *mighty* interesting.  For the archives' sake, I'll point
>> out that this shows 16 walsender processes, of which 6 are in
>> WalSenderWaitForWAL waits (ie, basically idle) and all of the other 10
>> are waiting for the ProcArrayLock.
>
> Sorry for not returning on this before now.
>
> I have seen the slow login problem - ProcArrayLock contention - happen
> with replication turned off, so I think that can be ruled out as the
> cause.
>
> I just observed something interesting right now, however.
>
> Just to recap the scene: the basic setup is that we have a table with a
> queue of jobs to be processed, and we have a number of programs (say 10)
> on 6 other machines grabbing those jobs, doing calculations and
> reporting back.

I don't have an answer. Not even sure if this is relevant to the
problem, but how are the jobs getting into the queue?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: Database logins taking longer and longer, showing up as "authentication" in ps(1)
Сообщение: Re: Database logins taking longer and longer, showing up as "authentication" in ps(1)