Re: Review for GetWALAvailability()

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Review for GetWALAvailability()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2020/06/17 12:10, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> At Tue, 16 Jun 2020 22:40:56 -0400, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote in
>> On 2020-Jun-17, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>> On 2020/06/17 3:50, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>
>>> So InvalidateObsoleteReplicationSlots() can terminate normal backends.
>>> But do we want to do this? If we want, we should add the note about this
>>> case into the docs? Otherwise the users would be surprised at termination
>>> of backends by max_slot_wal_keep_size. I guess that it's basically rarely
>>> happen, though.
>>
>> Well, if we could distinguish a walsender from a non-walsender process,
>> then maybe it would make sense to leave backends alive.  But do we want
>> that?  I admit I don't know what would be the reason to have a
>> non-walsender process with an active slot, so I don't have a good
>> opinion on what to do in this case.
>
> The non-walsender backend is actually doing replication work. It
> rather should be killed?

I have no better opinion about this. So I agree to leave the logic as it is
at least for now, i.e., we terminate the process owning the slot whatever
the type of process is.

>>> You mean; in this code path, signaling fails only when the target process
>>> disappears just before signaling. So if it fails, slot->active_pid is
>>> expected to become 0 even without signaling more. Right?
>>
>> I guess kill() can also fail if the PID now belongs to a process owned
>> by a different user.

Yes. This case means that the PostgreSQL process using the slot disappeared
and the same PID was assigned to non-PostgreSQL process. So if kill() fails
for this reason, we don't need to kill() again.

>  I think we've disregarded very quick reuse of
>> PIDs, so we needn't concern ourselves with it.
>
> The first time call to ConditionVariableTimedSleep doen't actually
> sleep, so the loop works as expected.  But we may make an extra call
> to kill(2).  Calling ConditionVariablePrepareToSleep beforehand of the
> loop would make it better.

Sorry I failed to understand your point...

Anyway, the attached is the updated version of the patch. This fixes
all the issues in InvalidateObsoleteReplicationSlots() that I reported
upthread.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao