Re: Upgrading a database dump/restore

От Guido Barosio
Тема Re: Upgrading a database dump/restore
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Well, there is a TODO item ( somewhere only we know ...).

Administration  * Allow major upgrades without dump/reload, perhaps using pg_upgrade

http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgtodo?pg_upgrade

pg_upgrade resists itself to be born, but that discussion seems to
seed *certain* fundamentals for a future upgrade tool. It reached
pgfoundry, at least the name :)

g.-

> "Mark Woodward" <pgsql@mohawksoft.com> writes:
> > Not to cause any arguments, but this is sort a standard discussion that
> > gets brought up periodically and I was wondering if there has been any
> > "softening" of the attitudes against an "in place" upgrade, or movement to
> > not having to dump and restore for upgrades.
>
> Whenever someone actually writes a pg_upgrade, we'll institute a policy
> to restrict changes it can't handle.  But until we have a credible
> upgrade tool it's pointless to make any such restriction.  ("Credible"
> means "able to handle system catalog restructurings", IMHO --- without
> that, you'd not have any improvement over the current rules for minor
> releases.)

Guido Barosio
http://www.globant.com
guido.barosio@globant.com

Сообщение: Re: timestamp subtraction (was Re: [SQL] formatting intervals with to_char)
Сообщение: Re: timestamp subtraction (was Re: [SQL] formatting intervals with to_char)