Re: fix pg_autovacuum

От Ben Grimm
Тема Re: fix pg_autovacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9/6/05, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 06:34:44AM -0500, Ben Grimm wrote:
> Hi Alvaro,
>
> Is there any chance of backporting the integrated version to 8.0? We have
> about 50,000 tables and the autovacuum daemon churns at 100% cpu for long
> stretches... any improvement over that would be welcome.

Nope, about zero.  Your best bet seems to be to help on the beta testing
so 8.1 comes out quickly.

That's alright -- I'll definitely be testing 8.1 when time permits, but since we only just now upgraded to 8.0... I doubt that any further upgrades will be in my near future.

But I was thinking about it this morning I ended up writing a replacement in perl.  It follows essentially the same rules that pg_autovacuum does, but only one db at a time (since that meets my needs) and requires a table to snapshot stats for the incremental comparisons, and I used a view just to make the logic a bit simpler.  It's been running for 12 hours and my database is just as vacuumed/analyzed as it ever was, and essentially zero load - so no complaints here.  It's attached if you're interested -- I'm guessing that it works much the same way as what you've done for 8.1.

-- Ben

Вложения