Re: Add "password_protocol" connection parameter to libpq

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Add "password_protocol" connection parameter to libpq
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-08-12 19:26, Tom Lane wrote:
> What problem do we actually need to solve here?
>
> If the known use-case is just "don't send my password in the clear",
> maybe we should just change libpq to refuse to do that, ie reject
> plain-password auth methods unless SSL is on (except maybe over
> unix sockets?).  Or invent a bool connection option that enables
> exactly that.

There are several overlapping problems:

1) A downgrade attack by a malicious server.  The server can collect
passwords from unsuspecting clients by just requesting some weak
authentication like plain-text or md5.  This can currently be worked
around by using SSL with server verification, except when considering
the kind of attack that channel binding is supposed to address.

2) A downgrade attack to evade channel binding.  This cannot currently
be worked around.

3) A user not wanting to expose a weakly hashed password to the
(otherwise trusted) server.  This cannot currently be done.

4) A user not wanting to send a password in plain text over the wire.
This can currently be done by requiring SSL.

Сообщение: Re: Problem with default partition pruning
Сообщение: Re: Problem with default partition pruning