Re: help needed asap....

От Matthew Nuzum
Тема Re: help needed asap....
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 12 Mar 2006 11:46:25 -0000, Phadnis <shphadnis@rediffmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi.
>
>  I am new to postgres and i need help from u.i hope i get positive response.. though my questions mite seem silly to
u...

>  iam working on postgres.. i have around 1 lakh records in almost 12 tables..
>  1 ) when i try to query for count or for any thg it takes a long time to return the result. How to avoid this
>
>  2) also i want to know how to increase the  performance..( i do vacuum once in a day)

These two questions are applicable to this list... your other
questions may get quicker responses on the users list.

However, you haven't provided enough information for anyone here to
help. Here's what you should do:

Find queries that you think should be faster than they are. For
example, if your query is "Select count(*) from foo" you can get
important performance information about the query by running:
EXPLAIN ANALYZE select count(*) from foo

Send the details of the query, including the output from the explain
analyze output (which looks pretty meaningless until you've learned
what to look for) to the list with a detailed question.

Also, for general performance hints, tell the list what your setup is,
what items you've tweaked (and maybe why).

Generally, be as generous with your details as you can. Also, have you
googled around for hints? Here's a good website with information:
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/index.php
Notice there's a section on performance tips.

Also, this list works because volunteers who have knowledge and free
time choose to help  when they can. If you really need answers ASAP,
there are a few organizations who provide paid support.

--
Matthew Nuzum
www.bearfruit.org