Lower Random Access Time vs RAID 0 / 1

От Michael Ben-Nes
Тема Lower Random Access Time vs RAID 0 / 1
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hello

I plan to buy a new development server and I wonder what will be the best HD combination.

I'm aware that "best combination" also relay on DB structure and usage.
so lets assume, heavy duty large DB with mostly reads and heavy write actions from time to time ( updates / huge transactions ).

Here are the options:

One very fast 10K RPM SATA Western Digital Raptor 150GB HD.
  Pro: very low access time and generally 30% faster regarding mainstream HD.
  Con: Expensive.

2 mainstream 7.2K RPM SATA HD in RAID 0.
  Pro: fast transfer rate.
  Con: Access time is lowered as both HD has to sync for read / write ( true ? ).

2 mainstream 7.2K RPM SATA HD in RAID 1.
  Pro: can access parallely different files in the same time ( true ? ).
  Con: Slower at writing.

Random access benchmark:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html?modelx=33&model1=280&model2=675&chart=32

Will be happy to hear recommendations and ideas.

Thanks,
Miki

Michael Ben-Nes - Internet Consultant and  Director.
http://www.epoch.co.il - weaving the Net.
Cellular: 054-4848113