Re: [EXT]Re: Connection not allowed because of an error 'Not in pg_hba.conf'

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: [EXT]Re: Connection not allowed because of an error 'Not in pg_hba.conf'
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/3/23 02:59, Harry Green wrote:

> Dear All,
> I'd like to thank you for your excellent input on this problem. We have
> now resolved this issue and I thought I would mention how. The topic of
> the function being used as a check constraint had come up and I had
> rejected this because it was the name given to a function which does
> some checking. Since the function was used elsewhere I did not think it
> was itself used as a check constraint, but in fact it was (on a
> different table than the one that comes up in the error message). So you
> were right to highlight that fact. I should note, however, that it seems
> to me this is a bug in postgresql, if not in the narrower sense than in
> the wider: the issue is that nowhere in the process of creating a very
> simple function that references some table and then employed as a check
> constraint on a different table is the user warned or stopped from doing
> so. In many cases, doing this saves time over creating triggers or
> alternative mechanisms, so the user is naturally drawn to employing this
> technique. Yet when the pg_dump is attempted the process fails.
> Furthermore, it is not entirely clear why pg_dump cannot add the check
> constraints after all the tables are created, just as it does with
> triggers. This is why it is worth considering or treating this as a bug
> that may have a solution  - either by modifying pg_restore (or text
> equivalent process) or by preventing the user from employing certain
> types of functions as check constraints.

1) Hijacking another thread is not a good idea.

2) Per my first post on this issue:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createtable.html

"Currently, CHECK expressions cannot contain subqueries nor refer to
variables other than columns of the current row (see Section 5.4.1). The
system column tableoid may be referenced, but not any other system column."

It is pretty plain you cannot refer to columns outside the table the
CHECK is on. Trying to cheat by hiding that in a function, well you see
what happens then.

3) The function bodies are opaque to the server. This means there will
be no dependency tracking for the dump/restore.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com