Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS

От Wiebe Cazemier
Тема Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday 24 May 2007 17:30, Alexander Staubo wrote:

> [2] Nobody else has this, I believe, except possibly Ingres and
> NonStop SQL. This means you can do a "begin transaction", then issue
> "create table", "alter table", etc. ad nauseum, and in the mean time
> concurrent transactions will just work. Beautiful for atomically
> upgrading a production server. Oracle, of course, commits after each
> DDL statements.

If this is such a rare feature, I'm very glad we chose postgresql. I use it all
the time, and wouldn't know what to do without it. We circumvented Ruby on
Rails' migrations, and just implemented them in SQL. Writing migrations is a
breeze this way, and you don't have to hassle with atomicity, or the pain when
you discover the migration doesn't work on the production server.