Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS

От Wiebe Cazemier
Тема Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday 24 May 2007 10:06, Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:

> Hi
> I was wondering, apart from extensive procedural language support and being
> free,
> what are other major advantages of Postgresql over other major RDBMS like
> oracle and sql server.
>
> Any pointers would be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> ~Jas

A free (as in free speech) license. You can still use postgresql if the
developers decide to stop making postgres, or stop making it free, as it is
likely it will be forked and continued by others (like XFree86 forked into
Xorg).

And, you won't run into annoying licence agreements that you can't use it on
machines with two CPU's...

In my experience as sysadmin, I prefer free licenses (open source) software so
much above commercial software.

Something to think about.