Re: the future of pljava development

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: the future of pljava development
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Marek Lewczuk wrote on 23.05.2007 21:37:

> I would like to know your opinion about pljava and its future

I have never used Java-in-the-database with any of the DBMS I have used and I
have never understood the reasoning behind it.
My personal opinion is, that it's not needed. Most of the time the same code can
run just as efficiently inside the application (server) as well.

PG already has a very good language for stored procedure and I think that is
enough. Don't get me wrong: I'm a long time Java developer and architect.

I think a very good (and fast) JDBC is a lot more important than beeing able to
write stored procedures in yet another language. And PG already has a pretty
good JDBC driver (Oracle's driver seems to be a good deal faster since the 10.x
release though, especially when it comes to using batched statements)

I think the Java community (despite IBM's hype) strongly objects having *any*
logic in the database at all (which I do not fully agree with) so the interest
in that option might not be that high at all.

Just my 0.02€

Regards
Thomas