Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I want to progress work on stored procedures returning multiple result
> sets.  Examples of how this could work on the SQL side have previously
> been shown [0].  We also have ongoing work to make psql show multiple
> result sets [1].  This appears to work fine in the simple query
> protocol.  But the extended query protocol doesn't support multiple
> result sets at the moment [2].  This would be desirable to be able to
> use parameter binding, and also since one of the higher-level goals
> would be to support the use case of stored procedures returning
> multiple result sets via JDBC.
>
> [0]:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/4580ff7b-d610-eaeb-e06f-4d686896b93b%402ndquadrant.com
> [1]: https://commitfest.postgresql.org/29/2096/
> [2]:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/9507.1534370765%40sss.pgh.pa.us
>
> (Terminology: I'm calling this project "dynamic result sets", which
> includes several concepts: 1) multiple result sets, 2) those result
> sets can have different structures, 3) the structure of the result
> sets is decided at run time, not declared in the schema/procedure
> definition/etc.)
>
> One possibility I rejected was to invent a third query protocol beside
> the simple and extended one.  This wouldn't really match with the
> requirements of JDBC and similar APIs because the APIs for sending
> queries don't indicate whether dynamic result sets are expected or
> required, you only indicate that later by how you process the result
> sets.  So we really need to use the existing ways of sending off the
> queries.  Also, avoiding a third query protocol is probably desirable
> in general to avoid extra code and APIs.
>
> So here is my sketch on how this functionality could be woven into the
> extended query protocol.  I'll go through how the existing protocol
> exchange works and then point out the additions that I have in mind.
>
> These additions could be enabled by a _pq_ startup parameter sent by
> the client.  Alternatively, it might also work without that because
> the client would just reject protocol messages it doesn't understand,
> but that's probably less desirable behavior.
>
> So here is how it goes:
>
> C: Parse
> S: ParseComplete
>
> At this point, the server would know whether the statement it has
> parsed can produce dynamic result sets.  For a stored procedure, this
> would be declared with the procedure definition, so when the CALL
> statement is parsed, this can be noticed.  I don't actually plan any
> other cases, but for the sake of discussion, perhaps some variant of
> EXPLAIN could also return multiple result sets, and that could also be
> detected from parsing the EXPLAIN invocation.
>
> At this point a client would usually do
>
> C: Describe (statement)
> S: ParameterDescription
> S: RowDescription

> [...]

Exciting stuff. But I'm a bit concerned about the sequence of
resultsets. The JDBC docco for CallableStatement says:

    A CallableStatement can return one ResultSet object or multiple
    ResultSet objects. Multiple ResultSet objects are handled using
    operations inherited from Statement.

    For maximum portability, a call's ResultSet objects and update
    counts should be processed prior to getting the values of output
    parameters.

And this is more or less in line with the pattern that I've seen when
converting SPs from other systems - the OUT params are usually set at
the end with things like status flags and error messages.

If the OUT parameter resultset has to come first (which is how I read
your proposal - please correct me if I'm wrong) we'll have to stack up
all the resultsets until the SP returns, then send the OUT params, then
send the remaining resultsets. That seems ... suboptimal.  The
alternative would be to send the OUT params last. That might result in
the driver needing to do some lookahead and caching, but I don't think
it's unmanageable. Of course, your protocol would also need changing.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan