Re: Retry Cached Remote Connections for postgres_fdw in case remote backend gets killed/goes away

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Retry Cached Remote Connections for postgres_fdw in case remote backend gets killed/goes away
Дата
Ответ на Re: Retry Cached Remote Connections for postgres_fdw in case remote backend gets killed/goes away  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2020/09/30 0:50, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> Thanks for the comments.
>
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 7:30 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
>>
>> +1 to add debug3 message there. But this message doesn't seem to
>> match with what the error actually happened. What about something like
>> "could not start remote transaction on connection %p", instead?
>>

> Looks better. Changed.
>

>> Also maybe it's better to append PQerrorMessage(entry->conn)?
>>

> Added. Now the log looks like [1].
>

>> +-- Generate a connection to remote. Local backend will cache it.
>> +SELECT * FROM ft1 LIMIT 1;
>>
>> The result of this query would not be stable. Probably you need to,
>> for example, add ORDER BY or replace * with 1, etc.
>>

> Changed to SELECT 1 FROM ft1 LIMIT 1;
>

>> +-- Retrieve pid of remote backend with application name fdw_retry_check
>> +-- and kill it intentionally here. Note that, local backend still has
>> +-- the remote connection/backend info in it's cache.
>> +SELECT pg_terminate_backend(pid) FROM pg_stat_activity WHERE
>> +backend_type = 'client backend' AND application_name = 'fdw_retry_check';
>>
>> Isn't this test fragile because there is no gurantee that the target backend
>> has exited just after calling pg_terminate_backend()?
>>

> I think this is okay, because pg_terminate_backend() sends SIGTERM to
> the backend, and upon receiving SIGTERM the signal handler die() will
> be called and since there is no query being executed on the backend by
> the time SIGTERM is received, it will exit immediately. Thoughts?

Yeah, basically you're right. But that backend *can* still be running
when the subsequent test query starts. I'm wondering if wait_pid()
(please see regress.c and sql/dblink.sql) should be used to ensure
the target backend disappeared.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao