Re: Performance with partitions/inheritance and multiple tables

От Anj Adu
Тема Re: Performance with partitions/inheritance and multiple tables
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
The recommended partitioning guideline is if your table exceeds 2G

Partitioning benefits:

1. Purging old data very quickly (this is one of the biggest
benefits...especially if you have to purge very often...dont even
think of using DELETE)

2. Performance for certain types of queries where full table scans
benefit from a smaller table size (and hence the smaller partitio will
perform better)

Disadvantages:

You have to maintain scripts to drop/create partitions. Partitions are
not first-class objects in Postgres yet (hopefully in a future
version)

If you are not sure about how large your tables will get...bite the
bullet and partition your data. You will be glad you did so.