Re: database size growing continously

От Anj Adu
Тема Re: database size growing continously
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Database are designed to handle very large tables..but effectiveness
is always at question. A full table scan on a partitioned table is
always preferable to a FTS on a super large table. The nature of the
query will of-course dictate performance..but you run into definite
limitations with very large tables.

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Anj Adu <fotographs@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Any relational database worth its salt has partitioning for a reason.
>>
>> 1. Maintenance.  You will need to delete data at some
>> point.(cleanup)...Partitions are the only way to do it effectively.
>
> This is true and it's unavoidably a manual process. The database will
> not know what segments of the data you intend to load and unload en
> masse.
>
>> 2. Performance.  Partitioning offer a way to query smaller slices of
>> data automatically (i.e the query optimizer will choose the partition
>> for you) ...very large tables are a no-no in any relational
>> database.(sheer size has limitations)
>
> This I dispute. Databases are designed to be scalable and very large
> tables should perform just as well as smaller tables.
>
> Where partitions win for performance is when you know something about
> how your data is accessed and you can optimize the access by
> partitioning along the same keys. For example if you're doing a
> sequential scan of just one partition or doing a merge join of two
> equivalently partitioned tables and the partitions can be sorted in
> memory.
>
> However in these cases it is possible the database will become more
> intelligent and be able to achieve the same performance gains
> automatically. Bitmap index scans should perform comparably to the
> sequential scan of individual partitions for example.
>
> --
> greg

Сообщение: Re: database size growing continously
Сообщение: Re: database size growing continously