Re: The contents of the pg_timezone_names view bring some surprises

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: The contents of the pg_timezone_names view bring some surprises
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5/22/21 5:52 PM, Bryn Llewellyn wrote:
> Tom, David, Adrian, and Peter—thank you all very much for taking an
> interest in my questions. Your responses have, collectively, been an
> enormous help. I deleted the text of the exchanges in this particular
> branch of the overall discussion because it's become rather difficult to
> work out who said what in response to what. It's all there in the
> "pgsql-general" email archive.
>
> Here's my summary (in no particular order) of what I've learned. Please
> feel free to ignore it.

> (1) In the context of discussing timezones, the English word
> "abbreviation" maps to two distinct notions in PG:
> "pg_timezone_names.abbrev"; and "pg_timezone_abbrevs.abbrev". Tom
> earlier said « there are two views [because there are] two sources of
> truth involved ». This really means that these two columns list
> different classes of facts. It's therefore unfortunate that they both
> have the same name.

They are reporting the same facts, just in different context.
pg_timezone_abbrevs.abbrev is a list of un-duplicated, as I found out,
abbreviations. pg_timezone_names.abbrev shows the abbreviations or
offsets in effect at CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.

> (2) It's no wonder, therefore, that I was confused. Anybody with even a
> slight exposure to relational design would guess
> that "pg_timezone_names.abbrev" is a FK to the PK in
> "pg_timezone_abbrevs.abbrev". And they might wonder why "utc_offset" and
> "is_dst" seem to be denormalized. But they'd probably recall that such
> things are common, as a usability convenience, in views. Anyway, I'm
> beyond that confusion now.

Since the views are based on functions that are displaying different
context I don't find it surprising.

> (3) It helps me to think of "pg_timezone_names.abbrev" as
> "nickname"—which notion is unique, just for each name. It's useful only
> informally, and only when a particular timezone observes DST, as a
> shorthand for disambiguation. I used the example earlier:
>

> The fact that Asia/Manila happens not to observe DST makes my example a
> little less powerful. Never mind, their politicians could decide to
> introduce it presently and to give DST the nickname BST (or DOG). It's
> remarkable, in itself, that "ST" in "BST" means "Summer Time" but that
> it means "Standard Time" in "PST". But this nicely unerlines the point
> that there's no rhyme or reason in the design of these abbreviations.
>
> Notably, the "nickname" in "pg_timezone_names" has nothing at all
> (formally) to do with "abbrev" in "pg_timezone_abbrevs".

Yes it does. It just there is not always a one-to-one correspondence
between the two. For instance duplicate abbreviations do exist but they
are filtered out of pg_timezone_abbrevs.

> (4) My realization, as set out in #3, helps me now to understand the rule:
>
> « PostgreSQL allows you to specify time zones in three different
> forms... A time zone abbreviation, for example PST [but ONLY] in
> date/time input values and with the AT TIME ZONE operator… Such a
> specification merely defines a particular offset from UTC... The
> recognized abbreviations are listed in the pg_timezone_abbrevs view »
>
> This (to my embarrassment, now) does say that a "nickname" from
> "pg_timezone_names" is not allowed as the argument for the AT TIME ZONE
> operator. But it doesn't adumbrate that the English word "abbreviation"
> means what I now understand it to mean. You need to get the point from
> one terse sentence without the luxury of examples to strengthen the
> explanation.
>

> silently succeeds. Sure enough, the doc does say « PostgreSQL will
> accept POSIX-style time zone specifications, as described in Section
> B.5. [as the argument for AT TIME ZONE] » But what a quagmire of
> confusion this is. I said elsewhere that the same aim (get the local
> time at -42 hours w.r.t. UTC) can be met with transparent syntax, thus:
>
> *select ('2021-05-22 15:00:00 America/Los_Angeles'::timestamptz at time
> zone 'UTC') - '42:00'::interval;*
>
> I know which syntax I prefer!

That is the root of the above, preference. There are many ways to
express time zones and as a general purpose database Postgres needs to
deal with all of them.

> (5) I was embarrassingly slow to find this in the doc for the SET command:
>
> « Timezone settings given as numbers or intervals are internally
> translated to POSIX timezone syntax. For example, after SET TIME ZONE
> -7, SHOW TIME ZONE would report <-07>+07. »
>

> (David pointed this out.) This is confusing in itself. And it's
> compounded by this fact: POSIX uses positive offsets to denote what both
> the utc_offset column and to_char(<some timestamptz value>), with the
> format element TH:TM, shows as negative. But it is what it is.

See my earlier post about trying to find logic in this.

> (6) To the extent that a catalog view can have a business unique key
> (and I believe that this must be the case for it to be useful), the
> unique key for "pg_timezone_names" is "name" and the unique key for
> "pg_timezone_abbrevs" is "abbrev". I'm going to assume that PG has code
> to maintain these invariants. This gives me the way to interpret the
> statement "an [abbreviation] specification merely defines a particular
> offset from UTC".
>

> «
> The @OVERRIDE syntax indicates that subsequent entries in the file can
> override previous entries (typically, entries obtained from included
> files). Without this, conflicting definitions of the same timezone
> abbreviation are considered an error.
> »
>
> So even without "timezone_abbreviations" set to "default" at session
> level, "pg_timezone_abbrevs.abbrev" will always be unique.

True.

> (7) There are two different syntaxes for setting the timezone session
> environment variable. This (or with TO instead of =):
>
> *set timezone =*
>
> and this:
>
> *set time zone*
>
> This, too, is hugely confusing. (Correspondingly, there's both "show
> timezone" and "show time zone".)
>
> The first "set" (and "show") alternative is consistent with how you set
> all other session environment variables. Moreover, all are observable
> with the current_setting() built-in function. And there the argument
> "timezone" can only be spelled as one word. This makes me favor the "set
> timezone" spelling.
>
> However, only the "set time zone" spelling allows an argument that's an
> explicit interval value like this:
>
> *set time zone interval '-08:00';*
>
> I said "explicit interval value" because this isn't true. For example,
> these two fail:
>
> *set time zone '-08:00'::interval;*

> and
>
> *set time zone make_interval(hours=>-8);*
>
> both fail, even though each uses a legal interval value. This is
> confusion on top of confusion. All the more reason to avoid it.

It is spelled out here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-set.html

Basically set time zone is for customizing the timezone value, whereas
set timezone is for using 'standard' timezone values. They both end up
setting the same value.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: Postgres prepare statement caching issue in postgres command line
Сообщение: Re: Postgres prepare statement caching issue in postgres command line