Re: Future Non-server Windows support???

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Future Non-server Windows support???
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 3/1/19 11:11 AM, Bill Haught wrote:
> On 2/24/2019 12:05 PM, Bill Haught wrote:
>> I noticed that for 11.2, non-server versions of Windows are not listed
>> as supported platforms.  Is support in the process of being dropped
>> for non-server editions of Windows when 10.7 is no longer supported
>> (apparently years away though)?  Or will such support be added to 11.2
>> or some later versions in the future?
>>
>> Thanks in advanced.
>>

> Sorry about not responding for so long. I have my own personal problems.
>
> The main reason for any interest in PostgreSQL is that software and
> software support comes and goes.  Finally LibreOffice not only supports
> PostgreSQL directly (without having to go through ADO/JDBC/ODBC) but
> MySQL and Firebird.  It even now has a Firebird embedded database which
> also is probably overkill for LibreOffice users (or at the very least
> most of them).  SQLite is strangely absent, never mind the fact that
> they probably should have gone with it in the first place instead of
> HSQLDB.
>
> I downloaded the 10.2-1 version of both EnterpriseDB and BigSQL versions
> but haven't gotten around to actually trying to get my rather small
> access format (accdb) databases in Firebird format and a backup, e.i.,
> PostgeSQL format.
>
> I am surprised that I overlooked BigSQL's explicit support for later
> versions.  Even if EnterpriseDB doesn't state that they support Windows
> 10 it could be an oversight and even if not likely to run anyway.

Ask them:

https://www.enterprisedb.com/general-inquiry-form

> My main concern is that Microsoft has Enterprise versions of Windows and
> versions for everything else which makes me wonder if at some point
> Windows versions for desktop use may not have features needed by some
> database applications or differences between the versions may be enough
> to necessitate slight tweaks to code and compiling additional versions.

That happens between there desktop versions also, e.g. Home vs Premium
vs Pro. They do not always talk to each other, especially when you cross
numbered versions. Since Postgres is server <--> client based you might
to look at changing where you run Postgres. Say a VM running a flavor of
Linux.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com