Re: \timing interval

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: \timing interval
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 9/6/16 1:45 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It's sorta out of my hands now, but what Tom said earlier is that because
>> > this is client-side code, it wouldn't use existing interval code.
>> > EXPLAIN *is* server-side, we couldn't use this code, but we could leverage
>> > existing interval code there to achieve a similar concept.
> If we like this specific output format, I'd be inclined to just
> copy-and-paste the code from psql.  I seriously doubt that getting type
> interval involved in the discussion would lead to a shorter or
> better-performing solution.

If we could actually execute user functions as part of EXPLAIN
generating it's output then it might be a lot less invasive... but I
don't think that's an option.

>> > I have another thing I'd like to add to EXPLAIN output : server version
>> > number output. So maybe we can pick those up in another thread.
> Ugh.  There are multiple ways to get that already, and it's not like
> space in EXPLAIN's output is not a precious resource.

I don't think adding a line would be that bad, and it would probably
greatly reduce the amount of mailing list traffic asking for version if
nothing else. It might also be useful to tools like
https://explain.depesz.com/. If nothing else it's probably worth adding
to the non-text output formats.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461