Does INSERT inserts always at the end ?

От florence.henry@obspm.fr (Florence HENRY)
Тема Does INSERT inserts always at the end ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

well, almost everything is in the subject !

I have to fill 2 tables (more complicated than in the example !):

CREATE TABLE A (
   id serial primary key,
   foo text);

CREATE TABLE B (
   id serial references A,
   bar text);

I fill A with :
   INSERT into A VALUES (DEFAULT, "toto");

Then I need to retreive the "A.id" that was given to A, in order to give it
to B.id. If I was doing this by hand, it would have been quite easy, but I'm
doing this with a script.

So, if I make a SELECT id from A; and take the last row, will it *always*
be the row that I've just inserted.

Thanks for any tip

--
Florence HENRY