Part way there, how do I complete it

От ray
Тема Part way there, how do I complete it
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have just installed pgsql on a Windows XP from my administrator
account 'rj'.  I had created a power user account postgres but I did
not see where to invoke this.  It seems to be running under this admin
account but maybe that is because this is a corporate machine and the
admin account isn't realy an admin.

When I opened pgAdminIII, the Object browser window showed 'Servers
(0)'.  Nothing happened when I right
clicked - I could not add or change. When I used the menu item to add
or change connection to a server or
when I tried to add a server, the process failed with an error of
'connection failed'.  So, after reading the manual and following the
steps, I got something.  The sequence is shown below.  But it leaves
me with some questions:

1)  The encoding is win1252, I wanted to make it unicode but I missed
where to make that happen.  Can I change it for those things already
built and for things in the future?  The only things I have built are
tests so I don't care about them.  Can I change it somewhere else and
use that as a template for future dbs?

2)  I don't know what the ramification are of "WARNING: enabling
"trust" authentication".  Should I change something?

3)  I created a db called test.  I saw no difference in the pgAdminIII
so I performed the command again (as seen below) and it showed that
'test' already existed.  Why could I not see that in pgAdminIII?

4)  Up to this point, there has been no change in the look or behavior
of pgAdminIII.  So I went to File|Add server.  I added test01.  Now I
do not like what I see in the object browser.  Can I change it?  It
looks like:
  Servers(1)
    test01(localhost:5432)
      Databases (2)
        postgres
        test
      Tablespaces . . .

Postgres and test dbs only showed up after I defined test01.  I do not
want the top level server to be test01.  Is there a convension as to
how to name this?  I expect to use pgsl for 4 different applications.
I don't know if I can or should make these different servers or
different databases.  And how do I change it?  What are the
considerations?

Command line capture:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin>initdb -D C:\Program Files
\PostgreSQL\8.3\data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"rj".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_United
States.1252.

The default database encoding has accordingly been set to WIN1252.
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

creating directory Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers/max_fsm_pages ... 32MB/204800
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data/base/1 ... ok
initializing pg_authid ... ok
initializing dependencies ... ok
creating system views ... ok
creating conversions ... ok
creating dictionaries ... ok
setting privileges on built-in objects ... ok
creating information schema ... ok
vacuuming database template1 ... ok
copying template1 to template0 ... ok
copying template1 to postgres ... ok

WARNING: enabling "trust" authentication for local connections
You can change this by editing pg_hba.conf or using the -A option the
next time you run initdb.

Success. You can now start the database server using:

    "postgres" -D "Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data"
or
    "pg_ctl" -D "Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data" -l logfile start

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin>"pg_ctl" -D "Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/
data" -l logfile start
server starting

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin>createdb test

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin>createdb test
createdb: database creation failed: ERROR:  database "test" already
exists

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin>psql test

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

Warning: Console code page (437) differs from Windows code page (1252)
         8-bit characters might not work correctly. See psql reference
         page "Notes for Windows users" for details.

End of post.

Thanks,
Ray