Re: pgbackrest - hiding the encryption password

От David Steele
Тема Re: pgbackrest - hiding the encryption password
Дата
Re: pgbackrest - hiding the encryption password  (Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 5/19/21 1:49 PM, Ron wrote:

> Currently on our RHEL 7.8 system, /etc/pgbackrest.conf is root:root and
> 633 perms.  Normally, that's ok, but is a horrible idea when it's a
> plaintext file, and stores the pgbackrest encryption password.
>
> Would pgbackrest (or something else) break if I change it to
> postgres:postgres 600 perms?

Nothing will break as far as I know. As long as pgbackrest can read the
file it will be happy.

> Is there a better way of hiding the password so that only user postgres
> can see it?

You could use an environment variable in postgres' environment, see
https://pgbackrest.org/command.html#introduction.

In this case it would be PGBACKREST_REPO1_CIPHER_PASS=xxx

Regards,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net