Re: The future of Solaris?

От Emanuel Calvo Franco
Тема Re: The future of Solaris?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
2008/12/10 Liraz Siri <liraz@turnkeylinux.org>:
> Guy Rouillier wrote:
>> Liraz Siri wrote:
>>> Solaris is awesome (dtrace rocks!), but I still prefer Debian/Linux for
>>> the same reasons I prefer PostgreSQL over MySQL - its lack of dependence
>>> on any single company.
>>
>> OpenSolaris?
>>

> I think it takes more than a license to make a true community opensource
> project. You need significant buy-in from a large consortium of diverse
> interests. Sun dominates Solaris/OpenSolaris development and IMHO it is
> unlikely Solaris would survive as a viable long term option if Sun
> dropped support for it. Solaris has a single point of failure. Linux may
> still be behind Solaris in a few areas but I'll wager Linux will catch
> up and make Solaris completely, utterly obsolete in the not too distant
> future. Sun opened up Solaris too late. It has no future outside of tiny
> specialized niches and legacy installations.

Just look at the last improvements about new technologies of Sun
(Solaris -Os)  versus Linux and you will see that Solaris is more alive
than everytime.

You said Solaris will be obsolete. I think you must read about the
new projects of Sun and the community inside (Open Source Community).

In fact Sun, sponsor the Open Source (adding Postgresql).
At the end, the projects more care are from high-end companies.

In other hand, in the year 2000 several people saids the same things
about Linux, but the prophecies was wrong.

In fact, Windows still leading the statistics and linux don't have
too much numbers than we could think.

I'm not Sun fan-boy. I'm linux sysadmin. But i'm tired of hearing that
Linux is the best, when there are serious bugs in some developments
and most of the real high-servers are in Unix platforms.

in other way, we must think in aviability of Postgres to run better in
every platform and do not underestimate the benefits of each platform.

sorry for my poooooor english :)