Re: Ubuntu for servers (was TurnKey PostgreSQL)

От Emanuel Calvo Franco
Тема Re: Ubuntu for servers (was TurnKey PostgreSQL)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
2008/12/10 Liraz Siri <liraz@turnkeylinux.org>:
> Robert Treat wrote:
>> On Tuesday 09 December 2008 19:43:02 Liraz Siri wrote:
>>> Greg has a good point. Ubuntu is a bit of a moving target. In contrast,
>>> Debian has a much slower release cycle than Ubuntu and is thus
>>> considered by many people to be preferable for production server
>>> applications.
>>>

>> Another option for folks is to switch to another operating system thats a bit
>> more stable *cough*solaris*cough*bsd*cough*
>
> Solaris is awesome (dtrace rocks!), but I still prefer Debian/Linux for
> the same reasons I prefer PostgreSQL over MySQL - its lack of dependence
> on any single company.

But in the other hand, solaris platform has got  a really good deployment in
clusterization for Open Solaris and Solaris (visit
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5578/cacjgdbc?a=view or
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/postgresql_opensolaris.jsp )
Zfs in combination with PITR could be  am exelent way too.
Too many people think in Sun +Mysql but in fact, Sun still works on Postgresql.

> Besides Sun Microsystems hasn't been a financially healthy organization
> for quite a few years, as evidenced by its rather dismal stock performance:

Big companies are in these ways... But i long time measures the have constant
growings and mores stable numbers.