Re: Deprecate custom encoding conversions

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Deprecate custom encoding conversions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2020/12/03 1:04, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PostgreSQL allows writing custom encoding conversion functions between any character encodings, using the CREATE
CONVERSIONcommand. It's pretty flexible, you can define default and non-default conversions, and the conversions live
inschemas so you can have multiple conversions installed in a system and you can switch between them by changing
search_path.

> However:
>
> We never use non-default conversions for anything. All code that performs encoding conversions only cares about the
defaultones.

Yes. I had to update pg_conversion.condefault directly so that we can
use custom encoding when I registered it. The direct update of
pg_conversion is of course not good thing. So I was wondering
if we should have something like ALTER CONVERSION SET DEFAULT.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center

От: Fujii Masao
Сообщение: Re: Deprecate custom encoding conversions
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Deprecate custom encoding conversions