Re: constant crashing hardware issue and thank you TAKE AWAY

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: constant crashing hardware issue and thank you TAKE AWAY
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2024-04-17 23:06, jack wrote:
<snip>
> As a result of this I will be checking the RAM on all my machines once
> a month or the moment a machine starts to act strange.

Once a month is overkill, and unlikely to be useful. :)

With server or enterprise grade hardware, it'll support "ECC" memory.

That has extra memory chips + supporting circuity on the memory board
so it can detect + correct most errors which happen without them causing
problems.

For the errors that it can't *correct*, it'll still generate warnings
to your system software to let you know (if you've configured it).

If you do get such a warning - or if the system starts acting funny like
you saw - that's when you'd want to run memtest on the system.

---

The other time to run memtest on the system is when you first buy or
receive a new server.  You'd generally do a "burn in" test of all the
things (memory, hard disks/ssds, cpu, gpu, etc) just to make sure
everything is ok before you start using it for important stuff.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift