Re: Package version in PG_VERSION and version()

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Package version in PG_VERSION and version()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/3/18 10:25, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 9:20 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Last time I tried to actually deploy packages that used --with-extra-version
>> a variety of tools that talk to postgres broke because they choked when
>> parsing the version. Including widely used ones like check_postgres.
>
> I think there's likely a big difference between --with-extra-version='
> (blah)' and --with-extra-version='blah', though.  It does this:

So what is the next action this thread?  I think --with-extra-version is
the right solution for packagers, so I'm tempted to close this commit
fest item.  There is some speculation that using it could break
third-party tools, but (a) we would need more concrete evidence, (b) we
should fix *that* then, and (c) it's likely unavoidable in general.