Re: INSTALL file

От Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Тема Re: INSTALL file
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01.11.18 07:26, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2018 at 01:32:09AM +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>> Picking up on this idea, attached is a first draft for changing the
>> README.
> Why don't you add it to the upcoming commit fest?  It would be good to
> get some traction with a formal review.

I plan to do that, once I gathered some feedback here.

>> It includes links to the website, as well as the short version of the
>> installation instructions.
> +The installation instructions are listed on the website:
> +
> +https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/install-short.html
> +
> +Short version:
> +
> +./configure
> +make
> +su
> +make install
> +adduser postgres
> +mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
> +chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
> +su - postgres
> +/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> +/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l logfile start
>
> Adding a section about installation and another one about documentation
> are good things.  Now for the installation section I disagree about
> adding this detailed way of doing things, and just adding a URL looks
> enough.
Was thinking about this, but then decided to add it as an example,
and see what people think.

> Pointing to the global installation recommendations would be a better
> fit also as a lot of things are platform-dependent.  So this URL looks
> better:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/installation.html
>
> Now there is also a problem, the README would point out to the
> development version of the documentation.  As this is made at working
> using git, I could personally live with having stable branches also
> refer to the development version, but it could also make sense to have
> each stable branch point to the URL of the versions they work on.

That is a bit problematic. The README lives on git first, and therefore
should point to the development version. The release process
can replace this with links to the current version.

Regards,

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: Commitfest 2018-11
От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: bugfix: BUG #15477: Procedure call with named inout refcursorparameter - "invalid input syntax for type boolean"