Re: Installation on Web Server

От codeWarrior
Тема Re: Installation on Web Server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
In theory  -- yes. In practicality -- no -- And yes... yopu are corerct --
postgreSQL needs to be installed PHP. YOu will find this to be the case with
ANY dependencies in PHP, including things like jpeg supprt, curl, etc. So
this is NOT a postgreSQL problem, not really anyway.

This is realy a PHP / ./configure --with-postgres problem -- the problem
being that you don't have the postgreSQL shared libraries installed because
you did not install postgreSQL on the web server. PHP can't really be
compiled with postgreSQL support without being able to link against the
.so's [shared objects].

Your best bet: The easiest, most reliable solution is to do a full install
of postgreSQL on your web server then rebuild PHP. You dont have to run
postgeSQL on the web server -- the added benefit is that you have a readily
available postgreSQL server.

The mendium level alternative  -- I think you might be able to use the
Pear::DB libs in PHP and not necessarily have to compile / build PHP against
the postgreSQL libs. I am not positive on this -- I don't do things this
way.

The hard way -- you woud have to identify the postgreSQL shared libs that
PHP needs to link against, retrieve the postgreSQL source code, modigy the
build script for postgreSQL so you build just the shared libs, then build /
install those [the shared libs].

"Richard Hayward" <richard@tortoise.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm wanting to install PHP on a Apache/Linux server with support for
> PostgreSQL.
>
> It seems that I need to install PostgreSQL on the machine first,
> before the PHP installation will work.
>
> The way I've done this previously is simply to install PostgreSQL.
> However, the database server is in fact another machine, so another
> full install of it on the web server seems redundant. All the
> instructions I've found assume that web and database servers are
> running on the same host.
>
> Is there some (easy !) way to install just the minimum parts of
> PostgreSQL I need on the web server?
>
> Regards
>
> Richard

Сообщение: Re: Can you specify the pg_xlog location from a config file?
Сообщение: Re: Can you specify the pg_xlog location from a config