Re: commit so slow program looks frozen

От: Carlo Stonebanks
Тема: Re: commit so slow program looks frozen
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Alvaro Herrera, )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Brian Hurt, )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Scott Marlowe, )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Magnus Hagander", )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Richard Troy, )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
    Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Bucky Jordan", )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Rocco Altier", )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Merlin Moncure", )
    Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Simon Riggs", )
     Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Merlin Moncure", )
      Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Rob Lemley, )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Richard Troy, )
    OT: TCL vs Perl Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (, )
     Re: OT: TCL vs Perl Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )

> I do think we need some better instrumentation for this kind of thing.

Well, one thing's for sure - I have little other information to offer. The
problem is that the lockups occur after hours of operation and thousands of
rows being digested (which is the nature of the program). If "better
instrumentation" implies tools to inpsect the sate of the db server's
process and to know what it's waiting for from the OS, I agree.

Then again, I can't even tell you whether the postgres process is at fault
or the TCL interface - which would be odd, because it's one fo the most
mature interfaces postgres has. So, here's a thought: is there any way for
me to inspect the state of a postgres process to see if it's responsive -
even if it's serving another connection?

Carlo