Re: Performace Optimization for Dummies

От Carlo Stonebanks
Тема Re: Performace Optimization for Dummies
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> I still think that using a PL in the backend might be more performant
> than having an external client, alone being the SPI interface more
> efficient compared to the network serialization for external applications.

I would actually love for this to work better, as this is technology that I
would like to develop in general - I see db servers with strong server-side
programming languages as being able to operate as application servers, with
the enterprises business logic centralised on the server.

The import routine that I wrote will actually work on the server as well -
it will detect the presence of the spi_ calls, and replace the pg_* calls
with spi_* calls. So, you see this WAS my intention.

However, the last time I tried to run something that complex from the db
server, it ran quite slowly compared to from a client. This may have had
something to do with the client that I used to call the stored procedure - I
thought that perhaps the client created an implicit transaction around my
SQL statement to allow a rollback, and all of the updates and inserts got
backed up in a massive transaction queue that took forever to commit.

Carlo