Re: compressed protocol

От zeljko
Тема Re: compressed protocol
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Michael Fuhr wrote:

> That's a tenuous conclusion; it assumes that the data transfer is

Are you trying to say that data won't be compressed ?

> what's taking all the time.  Query planning and execution and
> client-side processing must also be taken into account.  Using a
> sniffer to observe the amount of data transferred would be a more
> appropriate test.

From client connection:
EXPLAIN SELECT sfi,nvi,jmi FROM articles ORDER BY sif;
                                     QUERY PLAN
 Index Scan using articles_pkey on articles  (cost=0.00..1031.61
rows=12410 width=42)
(1 row)

So it returns 12410 rows :
sfi = INTEGER, nvi = varchar(50), jmi = varchar(3).

Yes, I know that my conclusions are tenuous, but what to say when
both  tests returns result in approx. amount of time
(compressed or not).

Using compression on my nTier (kbmMW (ZLIB) ) same query returns
in 9 seconds (!=20 secs !). (same client, same server , same query).

cheers,
        zac