Re: [GENERAL] How to drop column from interrelated views

От Berend Tober
Тема Re: [GENERAL] How to drop column from interrelated views
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Guyren Howe wrote:
> I’ve a set of interrelated views. I want to drop a column from a table and from all the views that
> cascade from it.
>
> I’ve gone to the leaf dependencies and removed the field from them. But I can’t remove the field
> from the intermediate views because Postgres doesn’t appear to be clever enough to see that the
> leafs no longer depend on the column. Or did I just miss one?
>
> In general, this seems like a major weakness expressing a model in Postgres (I get that any such
> weakness derives from SQL; that doesn’t stop me wanting a solution).
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

This usually involves a pg_dump in the custom format, editing the list file, creating a script with
pg_restore.

I described a way I have had success with it at one point at

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/55C3F0B4.5010600%40computer.org

-- B