Re: Database normalization

От Asko Oja
Тема Re: Database normalization
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi

I would create one table to log updates with type field and one id filed that contains either client id or service id according to type. On such a table i would forget about foreign keys (thay are better to be avoided anyway if you have millions of records in tables).
That way you can share code that displays update history or even create some generic components.
In my experience normalized databases have ended up with hundreds of tables and code and screen generation that is very far from what users actually need. Denormalizing and refactoring these databases reduces number of tables by magnitude.

Regards,
Asko