Re: Remove MSVC scripts from the tree

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Remove MSVC scripts from the tree
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 16.11.23 02:07, Andres Freund wrote:
> It doesn't seem like your patch has it quite that way? I see
>
>    <sect2 id="installation-notes-mingw">
>     <title>MinGW</title>
>    <sect2 id="installation-notes-windows">
>     <title>Windows</title>
>
> Where "Windows" actually seems to solely describe visual studio? That seems
> confusing.

I had suggested this arrangement as a way to reduce churn in this patch
set.  We'd just move over the existing separate chapter into a new
section, and then later consider further rearrangements.

It's not always clear where all of these things should go, as there are
so many dimensions.  For example, the existing sentence "After you have
everything installed, it is suggested that you run psql under CMD.EXE,
as the MSYS console has buffering issues.", does that apply to MinGW, or
really MSYS, or does it also apply if you build with Visual Something?

Ultimately, I don't think MinGW needs to be its own section.