Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/16/16 2:36 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Right.  I am thinking of writing some docs about how to avoid downtime
> for upgrades of various types.

If there's some magic sauce to shrink pg_upgrade downtime to near 0 I
think folks would be very interested in that.

Outside of that scenario, I think what would be far more useful is
information on how to do seamless master/replica switchovers using tools
like pgBouncer or pgPool. That ability is useful *all* the time, not
just when upgrading. It makes it trivial to do OS-level maintenance, and
if you're using a form of logical replication it also makes it trivial
to do expensive database maintenance, such as cluster/vacuum
full/reindex. I've worked with a few clients that had that ability and
it was a huge stress reducer. As a bonus, an unplanned outage of the
master becomes far less stressful, because you already know exactly how
to fail over.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461