Re: Chante domain type - Postgres 9.2

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Chante domain type - Postgres 9.2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 09/26/2016 06:54 AM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Rakesh Kumar schrieb am 26.09.2016 um 15:08:
>>> You sound like you think that varchar(50) is somehow cheaper than text.
>>
>> The biggest impediment to text cols in other RDBMS  is no index allowed.
>> If PG has an elegant solution to that, then yes I see the point made by the
>> original poster.
>
> Don't confuse Postgres' "text" data type with "text" in other DBMS.

Just be aware that layers above the database often do not understand
that and will see text as a memo field. For instance in Django a text
field will get rendered as a Textarea widget whereas a varchar field
will be rendered as an TextInput widget. You can override that, but it
is extra work. Luckily Postgres has the notion of an unbounded varchar:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/datatype-character.html

".. If character varying is used without length specifier, the type
accepts strings of any size. The latter is a PostgreSQL extension."

This allows you to have 'text' without it being called text, as stated
below.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: Chante domain type - Postgres 9.2
Сообщение: Re: Chante domain type - Postgres 9.2