Re: PostgreSQL upgrade from 9.4.2 to 9.6.12

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: PostgreSQL upgrade from 9.4.2 to 9.6.12
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/4/19 7:48 AM, Ashwini Singh wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> We have a legacy application running on Ruby on Rails on AWS
> infrastructure. We wanted to do a DB upgrade from PostgreSQL version
> 9.4.2 to 9.6.12.
>
> We tried finding out any breaking changes from 9.4.x to 9.6.x upgrade
> but could not find out by reading the documentation.
>
> Please let us know if the PostgreSQL version 9.6.12 is backwards
> compatible with version 9.4.2 or if there are breaking changes do let us
> know.

Breaking changes rather depends on what you are doing in your app.
Postgres will have backwards incompatible changes between major
releases. Prior to Postgres version 10 that that was any version that
changed the X in X.X.y in the versioning. For 10+ that is X.y. To see
what backwards incompatible changes occurred go to the  Release Notes
for the first new major version(change in X). So for you migration path :

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/release-9-5.html

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/release-9-6.html

The big(incompatible) changes will be listed under:

Migration to Version <some_version>

Changes are cumulative .

--
Adrian Klaver