Re: confusion about user paring with pg_hba and pg_ident

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: confusion about user paring with pg_hba and pg_ident
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/12/2016 02:07 AM, arnaud gaboury wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:20 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us
> <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>> wrote:
>
>     arnaud gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com
>     <mailto:arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com>> writes:
>
>     > I am a little confused about some of my settings when it comes to map
>
>     > linux/psql users.
>

>     I think you're misunderstanding what the user-mapping stuff does.
>
>     It does not silently translate the username in the connection request
>
>     to something else; rather, it checks whether a user having the given
>
>     external name is allowed to log in as a particular Postgres user.
>
>     So there's nothing particularly wrong with your config files, but your
>

> Then, if my files are correct, why can't I connect ?
>
>  % psql --dbname=mattermost --username=mmuser
> psql: FATAL:  Peer authentication failed for user "mmuser"

What system user are you doing the above as?

> login with postgres is OK (pg_hba.conf settings: local
> all                 postgres       trust):
>  % psql --dbname=mattermost --username=postgres
> psql (9.5.4)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> mattermost=# \q
>
> I can't see why I can't connect as Postgresuser mmuser.

Common issues:

1) You have more then one Postgres cluster and you are not connecting to
the one you think you are.

2) pg_hba.conf works on first match wins, so you have another line that
matches the criteria but is not pointing at the correct map.

You had it working here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAK1hC9uLhsyn4g8Fc1FwhnDQzNx9k115GkK9iFKHepfjeMc%2Beg%40mail.gmail.com

So other then adding the mapping for the dovecot user, did anything else
change?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com