Re: Code of Conduct plan

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: Code of Conduct plan
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 08/06/18 17:09, Christophe Pettus wrote:
[...]
> It is equally unlikely that the Code of Conduct committee will need to decide what a car is, or whether or not
someonehas succeeded at university.

> I'm not trying to be snide, but this does seem to be exactly what I was talking about: When asked for examples of
culturaldifferences that might run afoul of the CoC, the examples don't seem to be either relevant (i.e., they are not
thingsthe CoC committee will have to address), or are clearly contextual in a way that a human will have no trouble
understanding.
I was simply pointing out the problems with definitions.  The examples
were chosen to show the problems exist even when the subject matter is
not normally considered controversial.

>> I've called a friend of mine a bastard, but he took it as a mark of respect in the context of our discussion.
> This is why we have human beings, rather than a regex, forming the Code of Conduct committee.  It's important to
rememberthat the CoC committee is not going to be going around policing the community for potential violations; their
jobis to resolve actual situations between real people.  It's not their job to define values; it's their job to resolve
situations. In my experience in dealing with CoC issues, the situations (while often complex) are rarely of the form,
"Thisword does not mean anything bad where I come from."

I've read emails from Sarah Sharpe, and seen her harangue Linus (I was
standing about a metre away from them).  Sarah was essentially trying to
insist that Linus follow a CoC.  The pg lists are remarkable tame,
compared to some I read.  Linus is quite entertaining at times, but most
people appreciate where he is coming from even when they are the target
of one of his rants.  I've immense respect for Linus, but he'd likely
fall foul of most CoC's!

> --
> -- Christophe Pettus
>     xof@thebuild.com