Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization

От Andrey Lepikhov
Тема Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 24/7/2023 16:56, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 7/24/23 04:10, Andrey Lepikhov wrote:

>>> I think the fundamental task is to make the costing more reliable, and
>>> the commit message 443df6e2db points out a couple challenges in this
>>> area. Not sure how feasible it is to address enough of them ...
>>>
>>> 1) procost = 1.0 - I guess we could make this more realistic by doing
>>> some microbenchmarks and tuning the costs for the most expensive cases.
>>>
>>> 2) estimating quicksort comparisons - This relies on ndistinct
>>> estimates, and I'm not sure how much more reliable we can make those.
>>> Probably not much :-( Not sure what to do about this, the only thing I
>>> can think of is to track "reliability" of the estimates and only do the
>>> reordering if we have high confidence in the estimates. That means we'll
>>> miss some optimization opportunities, but it should limit the risk.
>> I read up on the history of this thread.
>> As I see, all the problems mentioned above can be beaten by excluding
>> the new cost model at all. We can sort GROUP BY columns according to the
>> 'ndistinct' value.
>> I see the reason for introducing the cost model in [1]. The main
>> supporting point here is that with this patch, people couldn't optimize
>> the query by themselves, organizing the order of the columns in a more
>> optimal way. But now we have at least the GUC to switch off the
>> behaviour introduced here. Also, some extensions, like the well-known
>> pg_hint_plan, can help with automation.
>
> I think the main concern is that if we reorder the group keys and get it
> wrong, it's a regression. If that happens often (due to costing based on
> poor stats), it's a problem. Yes, there's a GUC, but that's a rather
> blunt instrument, unfortunately.
I see. My point here is if the ndistinct of one column is much more than
the ndistinct of another, it is more probable that this correlation will
be kept in the grouping phase. Here we can get some regression, which
can be overweighed by the possibility below.

>> So, how about committing of the undoubted part of the feature and
>> working on the cost model in a new thread?
>>

> But Tom's commit message says this:
>
>      Worse, to arrive at estimates of the number of calls made to the
>      lower-order-column comparison functions, the code needs to make
>      estimates of the numbers of distinct values of multiple columns,
>      which are necessarily even less trustworthy than per-column stats.
>
> so I'm not sure this really counts as "undoubted".
Don't try to estimate multiple  columns - just sort columns according to
the value of ndistinct as a heuristic.
I think we should estimate the number of values of multiple columns only
if we have extended statistics on these columns. And this can extend the
applicability of extended statistics.

The suggestion above is just an attempt to gather low-hanging fruit
right now. If it is not applicable, we will go a long way.

--
regards,
Andrey Lepikhov

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2
От: Ashutosh Bapat
Сообщение: Re: logicalrep_message_type throws an error